Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Still three eggs in nest

Mama robin did not stir or seem the least bit perturbed when
I snapped this picture today, standing just about three
feet away from her.


After two cold nights with temperatures below freezing, the weather returned to spring today and by the end of the day it had warmed to about 70 degrees. I don't think any of the three robins' nests I observed last year endured nights that chilly.

No more eggs have been laid in this nest since Saturday, so it seems the mama is finished and just waiting for the babies to come. I'm still wondering about the first egg laid, when the other mama was on the nest, and if it is still viable. The last time I saw her on the nest was last Thursday morning. I don't know if she was on the egg at all Thursday night, nor do I know when the second mama arrived. My first sighting of her was on Friday morning. 

The first egg is due to hatch next Wednesday, April 25. Usually all the eggs hatch within a 24 hour period. Since there were two days between the laying of the first and second eggs, it will be interesting to see how that goes.



~~~B~~~






No comments:

Post a Comment

Still three eggs in nest

Mama robin did not stir or seem the least bit perturbed when I snapped this picture today, standing just about three feet away from h...