Saturday, January 9, 2010

Remembering Elvis

Just as I can’t imagine Elvis as a 75-year-old man, neither can I imagine selecting one of his songs as a favorite. Just when I think of one as a possible contender for the top spot, another one comes to mind and nudges it down.


An Elvis fan since the age of 13, all of his music pleases my ears, and I think his covers of other songs are even better than the originals. Now when I hear his version of “Bridge Over Troubled Water” or “Sweet Caroline,” I’m reminded of the American Idol judges who always challenge the contestants “to make a song their own.” Well, Elvis knew how to make every song he sang his own.


Choosing a favorite Elvis movie is easy. “Girls, Girls, Girls” was the first movie I saw starring Elvis and has remained my favorite, as well as my favorite movie soundtrack, which includes the top ten hit, “Return To Sender.“ After losing two albums of this soundtrack, I tried to replace it with a CD. For several years, I could only find it available on Amazon Auctions, with a beginning bid of $49 for a used CD. In recent years, the soundtrack was re-released with the addition of the tracks from “Kid Galahad,” which I now enjoy listening to on my iPod.


For all that’s been written about his movies--and with the exception of loyal fans, most of the reviews are critical of his movie career--I must say that I still enjoy watching his movies for the very reasons critics pan them. Yes, they all follow a pattern: cute kids, a love interest, a fight scene and about a dozen sanguine songs. And I can also count on his movies to not assault my senses with violence and vulgarity.


For entertainment value, Elvis’ charisma could transcend the recycled plots and simplistic music offered in the soundtracks of these movies. And just as the reruns on TV Land bring a certain comfort to viewers of a simpler and more wholesome time, so do the movies of Elvis for both his loyal and casual fans.


For these memories, thank you very much, Elvis.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Still three eggs in nest

Mama robin did not stir or seem the least bit perturbed when I snapped this picture today, standing just about three feet away from h...